Saturday, July 2, 2011

1510 Post #3: Review?

Well this week was a great change of pace. I felt like I was in fourth grade again with the multiples and divisors. While I did find myself having to look at definitions and trying to decide between the two options were slightly confusing for a moment, I found that this week was by far the easiest we have had so far. With that being said, I noticed that many of the mistakes that I made were due to rushing through the information and not reading the question carefully. In saying that, I have learned that my students may experience the same problems and it will be up to me to ensure that they are taking the time to really understand what it is that I am asking them to do.


It reminded me of when I was teaching a first grade class about addition and subtraction a few months ago. There were quite a few students who felt they knew what it was that I was going to ask so they rushed ahead to try and beat me to the answer. In doing that, they were getting the wrong answer and missing the point of my lesson. I warned them that if they did not listen to or think about the material that was being put in front of them, they could get the wrong answer or miss an important piece of the puzzle. What's good for the goose is good for the gander I suppose. I have to take my own advice and check to make sure that the answer I am giving corresponds with the question that is being asked.
I am hopeful that by reading posts of classmates, I will find a way to simplify the ideas to my class. Math really is about following the instructions and rules. It is not open to interpretation and is clear cut in what it is asking you. A divisor is the number that can be divided into another number. A multiple is a number that can be multiplied with another to make a product. Keeping it simple has always helped me and I am sure it will help my class. Math can be hard, there is no reason to make the easier ideas harder.

No comments:

Post a Comment