Sunday, July 17, 2011

1510 Post #6: Simple Subtraction

I know that many of my posts have been involved in one way or another with differentiated instruction. Part of me believes this is so because until I started my journey as becoming a teacher, I did not even think about differentiated instruction. I was not for or against many methods for mainstream ideas and how to get to the same place using different paths. I grew up in a very vanilla school that taught an idea one way and that was the way we needed to know. If a student had a hard time trying to grasp a concept, they were sent for special help. I do not know what happened in those rooms. Perhaps there they were being introduced to the same concept as I, just in a different way to help them understand.

I love the idea that students are so diverse and keeping teachers on their toes. When we started to discuss the different methods for subtraction, I assumed that it was going to be a short section. I was wrong, the depth that some of the methods goes into seemed to be a little long winded for me. That being said, I can see how that same long winded (to me) could spark that thought in a students mind. Expand using powers of 10. Perform using expanded notation, scratch method, the rules and probabilities; there is so much to what I thought was simple subtraction.


Again, I am going to suggest online game sites for additional help both inside and outside of the classroom. What I have learned in the last few weeks of taking a college math class has been that little in the classroom has stayed the same in regard to math content from the time when I was in elementary school. The changes are for the best and the additional support from both inside and outside of the class should increase the cognition of the student.

No comments:

Post a Comment