Thursday, June 23, 2011

1512 Post #3: What are the odds?

Probability is the number idea representation of a chance. This could pertain to horse racing, dice rolling, and lottery games amongst other things that do not represent money. I most often correlate probability with gambling because that was how I was raised. "I bet you your dish duty next week that dad pushes his glasses up 4 times during dinner." Of course the other person was allowed to pick the higher or lower end of the spectrum and if the number was not right on or in the direction that was bet on, it was a push and we found something else to wager on. If I would have known more about odds at that time, I would not have these dish pan hands.

In high school we started to learn about probability and I just could not grasp the concept. It was very frustrating for me as a student to understand the idea and not be able to execute it correctly. I was a little anxious to start up again with probability as my track record with it has not been the best. I took the advice of a few classmates and decided to look up the content on youtube. I thought that if I could get a few differing perspectives on the matter, I might be able to see where I went wrong in the past.



This particular video is best for explaining probability to a crowd more advanced than a first grade classroom. The great thing about having the internet and sites like youtube is that you can find so many different ways to portray the same idea. A video that is more suited for a younger crowd of math learners is below.



I think that just learning in a way where I could pause, rewind, and work along with at my own pace has been very helpful to me. I feel like I can now stomp around probability and maybe even pick a winning horse. I think I'll even take a piece of the action the next time I have dinner with my sister and father.

No comments:

Post a Comment